November 15, 2012

les temps sont durs pour les rêveurs.


Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain is one of my favorite favorite favorite films ever.  I have seen it so many times, and each viewing makes me love it more.  Amélie is a visual gem of a movie -- all red and green and quirky and delightful.  I studied French for seven years in school, which means that I am not quite fluent enough to catch all the speedily-paced dialog, but I am fluent enough to FEEL the story and get MOVED by it, you know? ...  Bueller?

Amélie is quite the role model for me.  She is a quiet badass, and isn't that the motto of this blog after all?  The quote I illustrated above is from a part of the movie where Amélie gathers up the courage to tell off the owner of her local fruit and vegetable market who always makes fun of his adorable but somewhat dimwitted assistant.  "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du coeur!" roughly translates to "You will never be a vegetable, because even artichokes have hearts!"  You go, Miss Poulain.  You go, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment